If you've got some good (or even bad) ideas about how the game could get better, please feel free to add them to the list below. Use the talk page for discussing items already on the list.
Note that there's a bugtracker http://todo.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/ where you can add bug/feature request for the three projects:
- Xmoto website
- An in-game display to show the keys that a player presses. (so that other people can see how players do certain jumps, tricks, or for tutorial purposes)
- Water - slows your bike down ;)
- display max jump length
- Customizable driver-to-bike ratio (game is easier with a driver that is short relative to the bike). To keep hiscores comparable, make the ratio depend on the level.
- Customizable natural constants (
gravity, air resistance, acceleration etc). Make them depend on the level.
- Possibility for the level designer to prohibit the use of 'rotate bike' buttons (left and right arrows) on the level. The author of across has stated that the rotate buttons were originally a kludge to make the game easier.
- System requirements down! The game is rather simple, and the requirement of a 500Mhz proc. is simply ridiculous.
- The game has been optimized, but we don't have an old old computer to test.
- Practice mode where the game can be saved in the middle of a level.
- Display during replays which controls were used.
- Unicycle mode for experts.
- Declaring rules for a level pack, so i can build up a structure like "complete lvl01 first before being able to play lvl02"
- Ability to sort levels after name, personal record, world record, difference between personal and world record, date added, if it is scripted or not, how many times it is played etc. That would be handy. And maybe a system to allow users to rate levels, so you can see how good the level are before you play them. And sort by rate of course. Maybe a filter system, and a search system too. That would be practical in the future when it is maybe thousands of levels. :)
- Bike tuning - The suspension screams to be adjusted!
- For that matter suspension requires rebound & bump dampers
- Gears & Gear ratios
- Crazy idea, but what about controlling your bike rotation by moving the mouse?
- Random level on the end of level menu
- Ability to lean driver forward or backward, to affect center of gravity for subtle control as opposed to spastic jerking back and forth
- Feature, that the camera stops panning as soon as the end of the level is reached. So that you won't see the frame of dirt around your level. I really find that that Dirt-textured block around a level often makes it look bad
- Feature, that the rider of the bike doesn't just fall through blocks, but collides with them. Its just cosmetic, but well...
- Option to automatically save the replay only if it is the fastest time of the user in the level. Also, overwrite the previous fastest time replay if the previous fastest time replay was automatically saved using this feature. The purpose of this option is to enable the ghost to be the fastest time of the user without forming a gigantic archive of replays.
- For people who are familiar with Xmoto, maybe provide a zipped archive of all the levels so we can download them all at once. Maybe the same for textures too.
- I'm not sure if this already happens or not, but when Xmoto checks for new levels and downloads them, it may free up bandwidth to zip the transmission.
- Functions for modifying bike properties (wheel base, power, etc.)
- Dynamic blocks available also in other layers than main
- Ability to set the center position of a block (for the purpose of rotation in Lua scripting)
- Sprites also shown in Editor (Inkscape)
- Inkscape addon that compiles the level and launches it with xmoto (?)
- bounding box of player shown in the editor, (for dimensions purposes)
- Ability to add sounds to a level, like textures. Just small sounds like the sound of an explosion and of course a function to play the sound.
- Make it possible to change the brightness and rgb parameters of a texture/block (just like with the background in 0.2.5)
- Make XMoto-Edit workable with recent versions of XMoto for oldschool levels like XMoto Officials Levels (contribution by Shepard62700FR French Translator of this wiki)
- Provide RSS feed for new/updated levels
- Provide in-game notification of new xmoto releases.
- Moving obstacles (a la drawbridges), maybe the ones that repeat a sequence would be best for the game.
- Add a command line option like the one to test themes.
- Ice (less friction)
- Display speed (look in your options!)
- The after-death menu needs to go. (THANK YOU!)
- Faster loading of the game. (YEAH!)
- List scrolling improved
- Different Z-layers with blocks (-1, 0, 1), which would also enable you to move background blocks (respectively Z:-1 blocks)
- Parallax scrolling
- Jumppads -> you can add a force to a player since 0.3.0
- A SetDynamicBlockRotation function that rotates the vertices about a center point instead of making the block go in circles. since 0.3.0