Svg made with the 0.2.0 version of svg2lvl are not compatible with this version of svg2lvl.
- 1 Windows installation
- 2 Linux & Mac OS X installation
- 3 Tutorial
To install Inksmoto level editor 0.4.0 on a Windows box, just double-click on the Inkscape-0.45.1_svg2lvl-0.4.0_win32.exe installer.
Linux & Mac OS X installation
To install the required softwares on an Linux Ubuntu box (Festy Fawn):
$ sudo apt-get install inkscape python python-tk python-xml
To install the required softwares on a MacOS X box, use Fink and/or get the .dmg on the Internet. (TODO: get the exact procedure)
$ wget http://download.tuxfamily.org/xmoto/svg2lvl/0.4.0/svg2lvl-0.4.0.tar.gz $ tar zxvf svg2lvl-0.4.0.tar.gz $ cd ~/svg2lvl-0.4.0/ $ mkdir -p ~/.inkscape/extensions/ $ cp -f * ~/.inkscape/extensions/
This part of the tutorial learns the basics to be able to create a level.
Quick look at inkscape
Here is the list of useful tools from Inkscape to create Xmoto levels:
- The selection tool
- The path editing tool
- The zoom in/out tool
- The rectangle tool
- The circle tool
- The star tool
- The hand draw tool
- The bezier curves draw tool
- The Xmoto properties menu
The Xmoto extensions
The Xmoto extensions from the Effects menu allows you to set Xmoto properties to Inkscape objects in the drawing.
Here is an description of the different entries of the Xmoto menu:
- Remove the edge around the block: Remove the upper and/or the down edge of the selected blocks.
- Add an edge around the block: Add an edge on the upper and/or down edge of the selected blocks. The up and down side can have a different edge texture.
- Change Block Texture: Change the texture of the selected blocks.
- Change Block Type: Convert the selected shapes into Xmoto blocks (normal, background, dynamic, dynamic background). You can also assign them a texture.
- Change block physic params: Change the physic parameters of the selected blocks (currently, only the block friction).
- Convert into Strawberry: Convert the selected shapes into a strawberry.
- Convert into End of level: Convert the selected shapes into a end of the level.
- Convert into Particle Source: Convert the selected shapes into a particle source (fire or smoke).
- Convert into Player Start: Convert the selected shapes into the start position of the player.
- Convert into Sprite: Convert the selected shapes into a sprite (with many parameters for the sprite).
- Convert into Wrecker: Convert the selected shapes into a wrecker.
- Set layers properties: Set which layers are for background and what are their scrolling parameters.
- Set sky properties: Change the sky of the level.
- Set level properties: Mandatory options for the level, like its name and id.
- Set other level properties: Allow sprite replacement of the /strawberry/wrecker/end of level/. Add a music to the level.
- Launch level in X-Moto: Launch the level in Xmoto.
- Show the object informations: Show the Xmoto properties of the selected shapes.
- Update X-Moto menus: Get new textures and sprites from the Internet.
- Convert into Zone: Convert the selected shapes into zones (currently, only rectangular zones are used).
Drawing a simple level
Let's draw a simple level using only the Rectangle, Circle and Star tools.
First, put the zoom of Inkscape to 100% (defaulted to 35% when you create a new svg).